This site began as a resource for parents and caregivers of children with allergies, asthma, anaphylaxis, eczema and/or food intolerances but has grown to include adults with these conditions as well as non-allergic people with an interest in supporting this community.
The Allergy Mom website was initially created as a way to share my journey as a mom to two children with severe allergies. As my children grow, and have begun school and are gaining independence , I am constantly adapting to new ways of living as an allergy mom. As I navigate this journey, I offer my advice, recommendations and support to others dealing with these same issues.
I am so grateful for the wonderful people and resources I have come across and for all of the learning and growth that I have had to do as a person to adapt to this life. I would have never imagined the life of an allergy & anaphylaxis advocate, educator, counselor, personal chef and all of the other amazing roles I have taken on as a result of our children's allergies. I would do anything in my power to find a cure but in the meantime I am hopeful that I can help others to make this life just a little bit easier. I know firsthand the emotional stress and anxiety that having a life threatening food allergy or intolerance brings upon an individual and their family. Please do not hesitate to contact me to say hello, share your story and ask any questions that I may be able to help you with.
I dedicate this site to my children and to all of the allergy parents out there...I understand what it means to have a child with severe and potentially life-threatening allergies and my heart goes out to you.
The Allergy Mom
When our first child was diagnosed with environmental allergies in 2004 we were forced to learn a whole new way of living. We became experts on indoor air quality, avoiding allergens and how to best manage the environment to keep our son safe and comfortable. In 2006, our infant daughter was born and immediately had difficulty with eczema and allergies. Before the age of 2 she had experienced multiple severe, life-threatening allergic reactions and was diagnosed with anaphylaxis to dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree-nuts. I was nursing at the time and was reeling from this diagnosis. I did not know what was safe and had to learn how to feed my family in a whole new way. I can remember vividly how upset, stressed, frustrated, hungry! and overwhelmed I was by this life-changing diagnosis. We had successfully managed environmental allergies but now we had to make changes to our internal environment. As an avid life-long learner and educator I began to research and find resources to help me feed my child and keep her safe. Here are some of the things that I have learned and can help you with as well as my qualifications to counsel you on Food Allergies and Anaphylaxis.
- Highly knowledgeable professional with a Master's Degree in Education and currently studying Psychotherapy. Extensive experience working with allergy sufferers and a certified food allergy safety consultant. Currently offering training workshops through the Region of Peel's Child Development Resource Connection to train preschool and daycare staff and cooks to accommodate allergic children safely in their facilities.
- Supported by Holistic Nutritionists and other Health & Wellness professionals.
- Available for consultations in person, by phone, or skype. I have fielded questions and consulted with allergy sufferers all across North America.
- Support for newly diagnosed to make the home environment safe and to be aware of hidden sources of allergens
- Support for mediating between home and school (or camp, recreation programs, etc.), how to travel safely with allergens (airlines, road trips, camping, etc.)
- Menu Planning with information on deciphering ingredient labels, adapting recipes with substitutions and eating out
- Support for explaining allergies to extended family members who just don't "get it"
- Counseling for emotional issues, anxiety, depression and stress. Dealing with the threat of a reaction or the trauma of having experienced one. Strategies and resources to keep yourself healthy, and your relationships with others (this can put a lot of strain on marriages and extended family relationships). Talking about the isolation and worry that accompanies the role of caring for someone with a life-threatening food allergy.
- Support for taking on the role of an allergy/anaphylaxis advocate in your community. Whether we want to or not, this becomes a role we have to take on to keep safe.
- Information about the reality of allergy bullying and how to support the mental health of a family member or yourself (balancing fear and normalcy for a child, encouraging "safe" playdates and "normal" opportunities for social engagement.
- Mind-body connection: The power of meditation, breathing and simple yoga postures to calm the body and mind. "Our issues are in our tissues" and the stress of living with a life-threatening condition can manifest itself as chronic pain and tension in the body. Simple exercises that can be done to restore calm and well-being.
- Recommendations of resources for parents and children (books, websites, form letters to be used for communicating with others about allergies, recipes, etc.)
Fees for Services:
- 15 minute Phone Consultation: Free! (905) 467-2626
- 60 min Phone, Skype or Office Session $90.00
- 30 min Phone, Skype of Office Session $55.00
- 3 session package $250
- 6 session package $500
- People coping with food allergies/intolerance/sensitivities
- Parents and children with food allergies
Now Available! Allergy & Anaphylaxis Safety Training
I have completed my certification as a "Protect Allergic Children" Consultant. This qualifies me to educate parents of food-allergic children, teachers, caregivers, business owners, nurses, chefs and anyone who wants to ensure a safe environment for a food allergic child.
The Food Allergy Safety Training modules have been designed for:
- child care centres
- food allergic families
- restaurants and culinary schools
to provide education and training services to better protect food allergic children.
The Protect Allergic Children (PAC) Program contains the following offerings:
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at School
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at a Child Care Facility
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at Camp
- Protect Allergic Children: Food Allergy Safety at a Hospital
- Protect Allergic Children: Creating a Safe Home Environment for Food Allergic Family Members & Preparing for School
- Protect Allergic Children: Nutritional Assessment & Dietary Planning
The development of the above modules have been supported by an impressive Board of Directors and Advisory Board team including:
*Paediatric Allergics and Immunology Specialists
*Food Allergy Support Group Leaders
For more information please don't hesitate to contact me (email@example.com)
- Egg Allergy Document
- Milk Allergy Document
- Peanut Allergy Doc
- Sesame Seed Allergy
- Seafood & Fish Allergy
- Soy Allergy
- Sulphite Allergy
- Tree Nut Allergies
- Wheat Allergy
- Anaphylaxis in Schools & Child Care Settings
- Anaphylaxis Guide from Allergy & Asthma Network: Mothers of Asthmatics
- Action Steps for Anaphylaxis Management
- Sample Letter from Principal (Elementary)
- Sample Letter from Teacher (Elementary)
- How to use EpiPen & EpiPen Jr Auto-injectors
- Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan (Form for Child's Photo & Action Plan)
- U.S. Guidelines Food Allergy Diagnosis
- Food Allergy Guidelines U.S.
You can order custom labels for your allergic child's backpack, lunch bag, forehead (just kidding) to let everyone know of your child's allergies. Check out the wide variety of options through Mabels Labels by clicking below. Search on the Mabels site for "Allergy Alerts" and find ready-designed allergy warning labels.