All I can say is… THANK GOD for this cake recipe! My friend Wendy shared this recipe with me when Kate was very young. Her husband has dairy and nut allergies and she was my saviour passing this recipe on to me. She calls it “Whacky Cake”. It’s also egg free! It was a lifesaver when Kate was allergic to eggs. Everything else would collapse as it cooled. This one is so easy and delicious! Even non-allergic friends have asked for the recipe! And the best part? You can lick the spoon! 😋 Original Source: Unknown.
- 1 1/2 cups Allergy-Safe Flour* (*We use All purpose as we are ok with wheat in our house)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Cocoa Powder (*Be careful of dairy ingredients or traces when purchasing your powder if you cannot have milk. Call the company if you’re not sure).
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup allergy-safe vegetable oil (I like to use canola as it doesn’t impart a strong flavour into the batter)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Make 3 depressions in the sifted mixture. Place vanilla in one hole, oil in the second, and vinegar in the third.
- Pour cold water over the entire mixture and stir until incorporated. Batter will be bubbly and slightly thin. Transfer to cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Cupcakes: Batter is great for cupcakes as well. Reduce cooking time to 15-18 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For a White Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla. Reduce water to 1/2 cup and stir in 1/2 cup of apple sauce. Option to add 1/2 tsp allspice into flour mixture for a spicy white cake.