This is a family favourite and is requested by my parents and brother for every family occasion. It is soooooo good! Especially warm. I recommend baking two!!!
For the dough:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. safe butter alternative* (*I use Omega Nutrition brand coconut oil or Earth Balance brand margarine)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups bread flour* (*we don’t have issues with wheat so I can use this but experiment with alternative safe flours for your family)
- 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (“for breadmakers” is good)
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup melted safe butter alternative* (*coconut oil or earth balance margarine for example)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1-3 tbsp. brown sugar, packed (*I use 1 instead of 3 if I’m trying to be healthy or wish a less-sweet bread)
- Place all dough ingredients, in order, one at a time, into your bread maker. Set to Dough Cycle. Mine takes about 2 hours. If you do not have a bread maker you can do it old school -mixing and kneading the dough. Giving it time to rise…
- Once the dough is ready, roll it out into a large rectangle (approx 1/8″ thick).
- Next, mix the following filling ingredients together and spread evenly over the rectangle of dough.
- Roll up the dough jelly-roll style (the long end) to get a nice big log. Pinch seam closed and place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet (use your butter alternative for this). Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-25 minutes. Bread should make a hollow sound when tapped.