These are Kate’s absolute favourite treat! I only make them at Christmas time in our house so that she can be so excited for them every year! She waits all year for them!
- 3 1/2 tbsp. All-purpose Flour* (Or alternative allergy-safe flour for your family -i.e., Gluten-free flour)
- 6 tbsp. Allergy-Safe Milk* (I use Rice Milk -but you can use coconut milk, or other safe alternative for your child)
- 3 cups Icing (Confectioner’s) Sugar
- 3/4 tsp. Peppermint Extract (Flavouring)
- Allergy Safe Chocolate Chips*(I usually use Enjoy Life Brand -free of top 8 food allergens)
- Mix allergy-safe flour and milk alternative in a small saucepan until smooth. Heat and stir continuously over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Continue until a very thick consistency. Remove from heat.
- Add icing sugar and peppermint flavouring. Mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Turn mixture out onto surface dusted with icing sugar. Knead until smooth, adding more icing sugar as necessary, until no longer sticky. It will become similar to a playdough type consistency. Divide into 2 equal portions. Shape each portion into a log (1″ diameter) and wrap in plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature overnight.
- Cut logs into 1/4″ thick slices -reshaping as necessary. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Let stand until dry (about an hour) -turning at half-time…
- Heat chocolate in small glass bowl over simmering water in small saucepan, stirring occasionally until just melted…or microwave to melt. Dip patties into chocolate, allowing excess to drip back into bowl.
- Place chocolate dipped patties on parchment or waxed paper lined baking sheets. Make a small swirl on top while chocolate is still soft if desired. Add crushed safe candy cane sprinkles or other safe sprinkles if desired. Let stand at room temperature until firm.Makes approx. 5 dozen.