True Story: I was recently at a party (for my Dragon Boat Team Year-End Party) and our dear Coach Patrick ended up having an allergic reaction to a chicken satay dish that was marinated in peanut butter sauce and served with the peanut butter sauce on the side for dipping. More on that story in an upcoming interview …. but in the meantime a good reminder for all of you to remember to ASK BEFORE YOU EAT ANYTHING!!! Do not assume that events are peanut-free or allergen free and always, always ask if a food is safe for you. Our coach is a young man of 21 years and thankfully was o.k., despite having ingested this unsafe food. He gave himself the epi-pen and went straight to emerg. by ambulance. We are so thankful that he is o.k. In honour of my coach, I am sharing this PEANUT-FREE version of a thai satay … in this case beef but can substitute chicken or shrimp as you wish. I served this at my daughter’s birthday and grad party this past weekend and it was a hit!
- 2 large flank steaks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (it is a soy sauce alternative that is much healthier and milder … we use it in place of soy sauce … can get it at loblaws natural section and most health food stores – if can’t find just use more soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro leaves
- 4 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
For Pea-NOT Butter Sauce:
- 1 cup smooth (not chunky) Wow Butter (soy spread that is peanut-free but tastes just like peanut butter!)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- Soak Wood Satay Skewers in a dish of cold water.
- Place flank steaks in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up and make easier for slicing. While steak is in the freezer you can prepare marinade and pea-NOT butter sauce.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a glass bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare your Pea-NOT Butter Sauce: Whisk Wow Butter and hot water together in a glass bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Once steaks have firmed up in freezer, remove them and slice them across the grain and on a bias into 1/4 inch strips. Place the strips in a ziploc bag, add the marinade and let marinate for one hour in the fridge.
- Once steak is adequately marinated, remove from fridge and weave strips onto the skewers, satay style.
- Lay the prepared skewers flat in a baking dish.
- BBQ each skewer until cooked to your liking. Do not overcook!
- Serve with cilantro garnish if desired and don’t forget your Pea-NOT Butter Sauce for dipping! Delicious!